Monday, December 29, 2008

a trip to the other coast (cont'd)

NUMBER 2 - THE BUCHE (de noel)


This one ranks a bit higher than the others since it's a once a year thing. For as long as I can remember, the only Christmas celebration activity done in my family was going to my mom's friend's house for Christmas dinner. My mom (fabulous baker that she is) was in charge of one thing: the Bûche de Noël. It's a thin flourless chocolate jelly roll cake rolled up with fresh whipped cream and then lightly frosted and dusted with powdered sugar. My mom always used a recipe from the Silver Palate cookbook but a similar recipe "Lighter-Than-Air Chocolate Roll" is here. In my wheat glory days, the branch stemming off from the rest of the log was a frosted Twinkie, which all of the kids would fight over.

1 comment:

  1. The best recipe is from "The Cake Bible" the king of cake cookbooks ( I changed recipes years ago....)

    ReplyDelete