there's nothing like spending a week and a half without being able to cook that will inspire me to get back in the kitchen. a trip to the farmer's market for the first csa pickup of the season certainly also helps. as does being resolved to hang out at home on a saturday afternoon to watch some world cup soccer...
so, to whet my appetite for a day of cooking and futbol watching, I decided to start with some french toast. the catch was that i decided whatever i cooked needed to include at least one piece of csa bounty. for the french toast? raspberry syrup, of course!
french toast with raspberry syrup
- 2 slices of your preferred bread (or more if it's small!)
- 1 egg
- some milk (or soymilk)
- dash of vanilla
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2-1 cup raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- dash lemon juice
- about 1/2 cup water
- combine egg and some milk to create a slightly thick mixture. add vanilla and cinnamon, stir. dip bread in egg mixture and allow to soak.
- meanwhile, combine water and sugar in a saucepan. cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture thickens slightly.
- stir in the raspberries, and stir occasionally (the more you stir, the more the berries will break down). bring to a boil and continue cooking until mixture thickens slightly more about 5-10 minutes. add lemon juice towards the end of the cooking time and stir.
- cook toast in a buttered pan over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides.
- top with syrup!