although i went the classic cooked with strawberries route, i tried to make my version a bit more on the savory side. not too much sugar and i added some orange, ginger and apple cider vinegar. i also didn't cook the strawberries but just folded them into the cooked rhubarb mixture at the last minute. no need to cook or sweeten a perfectly good strawberry, i say!
strawberry rhubarb crepes
- 2 rhubarb stalks, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 pint strawberries
- large piece of ginger, quartered (so you can remove it at the end)
- zest of an orange
- juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/4-1/3 cup of sugar (depending on your desired sweetness): part brown, part white
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- throw everything except the strawberries into a pot with a little bit of water. stir.
- bring to a simmer, let the rhubarb soften and the liquid reduce.
- remove from heat, fold in strawberries.
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup flour (i of course used spelt)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- whisk ingredients together (yes, i put all of them into the bowl together and mixed. no separation here).
- alton says to refrigerate the batter but i didn't do this...
- grease a pan of desired size.
- pour enough batter into the pan to thinly coat it. swirl the pan around to cover the surface.
- cook 30 seconds and flip. cook another 10 seconds and remove.