yes, we're talking momofuku, part of the david chang empire. i'm always a fan of women dominating in particularly male fields, so when a ny mag interview came out with this quirky "pastry chef," they had me at female. (call me biased, i just don't care.) the menu can border on absurd: with crack pie, cereal milk, and gummy flavored soft serve, it's just my style. not to mention the cookies, oooooohhhhh the cookies. perhaps ever so more appealing because i can't just waltz in and order one?
my most recent visit (a few bites of crack pie filling and *cornflake* cereal milk soft serve with banana caramel) yielded my discovery of CORNFLAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP MARSHMALLOW COOKIES. take a moment, this is big, i know. i immediately decided, damn those momofuku wheat-lovers, i am going to figure out how to make this cookie! at first i was just going to crush up some cornflakes and throw marshmallows into a normal chocolate chip cookie batter but then i thought better and did some internet research. what i found was this. so someone beat me to the punch but lucky for me, i at least had a recipe to follow. a disclaimer: these things are dangerous. you may eat so many in the process of making them that not only will you feel sick and an oncoming toothache, you will fail to eat a real meal the rest of the day. but then somehow, god willing, you will find room to consume stale popcorn in a movie theater (?!) this is my life. i just blog about it.
cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow cookies (thanks, christina)
recipe adapted from cookiemadness.net
- 1 3/4 cups (spelt) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups ground up corn flakes (measure after grinding)
- 3/4 cups coarsely ground oatmeal
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup marshmallows, frozen if you have time to freeze them
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. set aside.
- cream butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl
- beat in egg and vanilla.
- stir in oil.
- add flour mixture and stir until it is almost fully incorporated, then stir in the ground corn flakes, oatmeal, and chocolate chips. continue stirring until flour disappears.
- scoop up gobs of dough and wrap each gob around 4 (or so) frozen mini marshmallows. try to seal the marshmallows in dough. you should have balls that are larger than golf balls (about 2 inches diameter).
- Space dough about 3 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 2 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool.