a triple roomie bday called for a special treat. especially one appropriate to eat after a late night of drunken debauchery. i bring you the chocolate pancake cake! this, my friends, is a yummy labor of love. and perfect for a bday brunch.
chocolate pancake cake
- 2 cups of pancake mix (i used gluten-free)
- other pancake mix ingredients (whatever is required by your preferred kind)
- cocoa powder
- cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
- strawberries, chopped
- prepare the pancake mix according to the directions, with the following adaptations: add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients and add extra milk so that you get a runny batter, closer to that of crepes.
- pick a large pan to make your pancakes in. add a few tablespoons of batter, and swirl batter around to thinly coat pan. make sure to let the batter spread the width of the pan, so that your pancakes will turn out uniform in size.
- very flat, smooth pancakes (more like crepes). you may have to give a test run.
- once you have a giant pile of cooked pancakes, assembly starts.
- put one pancake on a plate, spread on some frosting, add berries. repeat. again and again and again and again.
cream cheese frosting
courtesy of marthastewart.com
- 4 tablespoons room-temperature unsalted butter
- 4 ounces room-temperature bar cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- milk (or soy milk)
- beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- add confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- add milk to thin down frosting to desired texture (runny enough to spread down the side of the pancakes).