by now, we all know that i'm oatmeal obsessed. (but not quite so obsessed as this guy.)
another birthday called and therefore another baked good. trying to respect the health concious, i stuck with the recent low-fat theme. AND since bday boy was going to be leaving the office early, i figured oatmeal cookies counted as breakfast cookies. because you just can't bake someone muffins for their birthday. and just to anticipate any griping, there really isn't anything boring about cranberry chocolate chip cookies.
if you're feeling my current oatmeal addiction, the serious eats' oatmeal roundup is not to be missed. now back to the bday baked good...
low-fat cranberry chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
(adapted from baking bites; original recipe from foodfit)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/4 c plain unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- preheat oven to 375F. line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- cream butter and sugars. beat in the egg, vanilla and applesauce.
- stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and oats until just combined.
- add chocolate chips and cranberries and stir.
- drop tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. bake for about 9-12 min at 375F.