my first instinct was that the recipe didn't have quite enough garlic, shallots and/or other flavor kickers. i almost wish i had supplemented but after a couple of days the stew developed more of its own flavor (as stews often do, i'm told). so here's to my first ever stew! next time, i still would sautee the greens with garlic before adding them...and might use chicken stock instead of the veggie stock.
greenpoint-williamsburg csa's sausage, lentil and rapini stew
- 1 lb. sausage, sliced into quarter inch rounds (i used turkey sausage)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup lentils
- 2-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (rapini), chopped, stems and leaves separate
- salt and pepper
- cook sausage in a large pot until browned, then remove sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving fat in pot, and set sausage aside.
- cook onion in the sausage fat until translucent. add sliced carrots and broccoli rabe stems, and cook briefly, about 2 minutes.
- add lentils and 2 cups vegetable broth, cover and lower heat.
- simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until lentils and carrots are tender (add more vegetable broth if needed), then add sausage and the broccoli rabe leaves.
- cover and simmer about 5 minutes, or until leaves are wilted.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.