i was feeling a bit under the weather and was craving some comfort food. sadly, i don't have a restaurant in delivery distance with soup that gets the job done. hence my need to make this amazing healing comfort soup myself. the perfect solution? tofu and spinach soup! if your local chinese restaurant has it, i highly recommend it. the only chinese restaurants in local proximity here are scary, small, neon lit, greasy window ones. no thanks. this recipe is super simple and good but nothing crazy fancy. perfect for the "i'm feeling crappy and want something soothing to eat" feeling.
tofu and spinach soup
- 1 32-ounce container of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 pack firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- green onions, sliced
- a few big handfuls of spinach (i like baby spinach in this one)
- sesame oil and soy sauce for serving
- briefly heat sesame oil in the bottom of a pot.
- add tofu, garlic, and ginger and sautee for a few minutes.
- add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- add spinach and allow to cook until wilted.
- add sesame oil and soy sauce as needed for serving.